Thursday, June 28, 2012

In Melbourne Today

Went into the city to meet up with some quilting friends. But first I walked past this landmark, which is closing tomorrow after 60 years:
I glanced inside, but the dark, mouldering heaps of fabric are far from inviting. It is hard to imagine that there is anything still worth buying inside.

For a colourful contrast, a rainbow of umbrellas decorate the Australia on Collins Arcade:

And the Myer windows have a preview of Mali in the City, a herd of 50 elephants, decorated by artists, which will be installed around the city in August.
This particular elephant was decorated by Mali herself! I'm looking forward to seeing them all around town.

3 comments:

Chiara Z said...

most kids just get their painting up on the fridge--this little elephant gets the Myer window!

Nikki said...

Despite my many traumatic shopping experiences in Job Warehouse, I'll be sad to see this quirky Melbourne landmark gone.

I think the small girl and I will have to make a trip into town to see the elephants and umbrellas. Thaks for the heads-up!

kaiteM said...

Sometimes, just sometimes, i think it would be fascinating to live in Melbourne.