Sunday, May 30, 2010

Waverley

Took train trips to and from Mt Waverley for the Waverley Patchworkers' Exhibition.


There were lots of lovely quilts on display, and I managed to get some appliqué done in the train. Here's a small detail shot of one quilt that fascinated me. The full quilt contains over 2,400 pieces, and is double-sided. The design is created from half-hexagons, and is known as Inner City.

I'm now trying to work out the trick to putting it together. Do you just have to pin the whole thing up on a design wall, so that you can get everything where it needs to be? Or do you make the individual t-shaped "buildings", then have to do y-seams to assemble the whole thing?

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I wondered that myself then decided it would be easiest to make the hexagons and join those as one would a hexagon rosette!

Vivian said...

Vireya, I've been looking through old issues of Quilters Newsletter magazine and in a 1992 issue, they had a way of cutting hexagons from pieced strips to make these blocks (they called it "Ecclesiastical"). I'm going to try to scan the article and send it to you. It may offer one way to try doing it.